The Houston Astros kick off a three-game set with the Pittsburgh Pirates in the steel city Monday, which could cause problems for the ‘Stros. Houston is just 2-10 in their past 12 games at PNC Park.
- Jose Altuve is hitting .424 on the road this season.
- The Astros are 21-9 in their past 30 games against the NL.
- The Pirates have won each of Jameson Taillon’s past five starts.
Doug Fister will look to bounce back from some poor showings when he takes to the bump for the Astros. Fister has allowed a combined 15 hits and nine runs in his past two starts – while only lasting four innings in his last outing.
Jameson Taillon has been a sparkplug for the Pirates’ rotation, but he has been especially stellar recently. Taillon has a 1.80 ERA while holding opponents to a .205 batting average in his past three starts.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
The moneyline was hovering in the range of -150 for the Pittsburgh Pirates in this one over at Bodog. The over under number was sitting near 8 at 5Dimes.
Odds – Shark
computer prediction handicapping models run on this game pick a 5.8-4.0 victory for the Astros. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming MLB matchups here.
Houston Astros vs Pittsburgh Pirates Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Pittsburgh Pirates sport a record of 62-59 heading into this matchup, while the Houston Astros sit at 64-60 on the season Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Pittsburgh vs Houston injuries news.
The Odds – Shark
MLB Power Rankings have the Pittsburgh Pirates at No. 13 and the Houston Astros at No. 9 heading into this contest.
The game also pits Pittsburgh Pirates No. 13-rated offense, averaging 4.54 runs per game, against a Houston Astros defense that ranks No. 10 at 4.22 in runs allowed per game. The Pittsburgh Pirates have averaged 8.78 hits per game so far, more than Houston Astros batters have averaged on the year (8.55 hits per game).
Pitching and defensive stats are important baseball handicapping betting factors and Pittsburgh has the No. 16-ranked defense. In the other dugout, the Astros own the No. 10 mark in runs allowed.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
The Astros grabbed a win last time out, defeating Y Gallardo and the Orioles 5-3 on Sunday at Camden Yards.
The Pirates endured a 3-2 loss at the hands of the Marlins on Sunday, with R Vogelsong throwing 6 innings of 3-hit ball at PNC Park.
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Houston’s last 7 games
- Houston is 7-3 ATS in its last 10 games on the road
- Houston is 7-3 SU in its last 10 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Houston’s last 5 games on the road
- Pittsburgh is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- Pittsburgh is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Pittsburgh’s last 5 games at home
- Pittsburgh is 14-5 SU in its last 19 games when playing Houston
Next Betting Matchups
Houston at Pittsburgh, Tuesday, August 23rd