USA Today Sports
Leading scorer Matt Carlino missed time with a concussion late in the season but returned for the last four games and hit 10 3-pointers over his final two regular-season contests. “I don’t think anyone can map out a season before the year and it goes that way,” Carlino said to the media after the win against DePaul. “So no, it’s not what I expected, but it’s been a good season. We have basketball left to play, so it’s not over yet.”
The last six weeks for Seton Hall have featured, among other things, a six-game losing streak, one starter leaving the team and the Pirates’ leading scorer getting suspended. The Pirates have dropped two straight heading into this tournament and likely need to string together some victories to potentially earn a postseason berth of any kind.
* Under is 5-2 in the last seven meetings.
* Underdog is 4-0 ATS in the last four meetings.
* Pirates are 4-1 ATS in their last five neutral site games.
* Golden Eagles are 1-6 ATS in their last seven games overall.
The last win for the Bluejays came on the Blue Demons’ home court on Feb. 24, when they posted a 75-62 triumph behind James Milliken’s 18 points. That served as a measure of revenge for Creighton, which lost at home to DePaul on Jan. 7. Creighton’s top rebounder is 6-2 G Devin Brooks (4.8) and the Bluejays have been outrebounded by 28 during their current three-game slide.
The Blue Demons ended their regular season with a 58-48 loss to Marquette, shooting 32.8 percent from the floor, 3-of-18 from the arc and a paltry 3-of-6 from the foul line, not to mention a dozen turnovers. “We did miss some easy shots near the basket and in the lane,” DePaul coach Oliver Purnell said to reporters. “In a game like that, you need that. Couple that with a few turnovers that we had versus their 2-2-1 or wide and high zone, that was our undoing.”
* Under is 5-0 in the last five meetings.
* Under is 5-0 in Blue Demons last five overall.
* Bluejays are 1-4 ATS in their last five neutral site games.
* Blue Demons are 1-10 ATS in their last 11 neutral site games.