The puck drops tonight on a new NHL season and the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks will take center stage when they welcome the New York Rangers to the United Center. The Hawks have a recent history of starting seasons strong at home, going 4-0 in their last four home openers. Opening night, however, hasn’t been kind to defending Cup champs, as they’re 2-7 in season openers since the 2004 lockout.
- Since the start of the 2014 season, New York is 12-2 in road games vs Western Conference teams.
- Chicago is 9-2 SU in their last 11 games at home.
- In 47 career games vs NY, Hawks forward Marian Hossa has 47 points.
The Rangers enter the season hoping to build upon last season’s trip to the Eastern Conference Finals where they lost to the Lighting in seven games. The Rangers have been above average in their last 10 season openers, going 6-4.
Since 1989, the Blackhawks have a slight edge in the 39 games played between the two teams, going 18-17-4.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Sportsbooks such as Bodog had the Chicago Blackhawks as -130 favorites earlier today. The over under opened at 5.5 at MyBookie for betting fans hoping to turn a profit on totals.
Odds – VSB
computer prediction formulas pick a 3-2.8 win for the Blackhawks on Wednesday. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming NHL matchups here.
New York Rangers vs Chicago Blackhawks Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Chicago Blackhawks went 64-34-7 last season. The New York Rangers, meanwhile, went 64-29-8. OVER/UNDER betting fans saw Chicago go 38-51-16 and the Rangers go 45-46-10 on the totals. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Chicago vs New York injuries news.
This game matches up the No. 22 (Chicago Blackhawks) and the No. 16 (New York Rangers) teams according to our current NHL Power Rankings.
Offensively, the game matches up the Chicago Blackhawks No. 11-ranked offense (2.85 goals per game) against a New York Rangers defense that ranks No. 1 at 2.31 goals per game allowed. The Blackhawks powerplay has clicked at a 17.9% rate while the Rangers have a 83.51% rate on the penalty kill.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
New York was a 2-0 loser in its last match at home against the Lightning. They lost as -161 favorites, while the total score of 2 made winners of UNDER bettors.
- NY Rangers is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of NY Rangers’s last 6 games
- NY Rangers is 15-4 SU in its last 19 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of NY Rangers’s last 5 games on the road
- Chicago is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Chicago’s last 6 games
- Chicago is 9-2 SU in its last 11 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Chicago’s last 6 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
New York at Columbus, Friday, October 9th