The Chicago Cubs broke their six-game losing streak against the St. Louis Cardinals on Friday. Though that ended one slump, it continued another with the road team now going just 2-6 in the past eight meetings between the Cards and Cubs. The two teams will continue their three-game set at Wrigley Field Saturday afternoon.
– Shark BITES
- Matt Carpenter is 5-for-28 with 9 strikeouts in his career against Jon Lester.
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of the Cubs’ last 8 games.
- The Cubs are 8-2 SU in their last 10 games at home.
Mike Leake has quietly been one of the best pitchers in baseball this season. The righty paces the National League in ERA (2.24) and quality starts (9) while lasting 7.0 innings or more in four of his past five outings. Leake has already faced the Cardinals once this season, allowing just two runs in 6.0 innings of work. The 7-year veteran would have been near perfect in that outing if not for Wilson Contreras who hit two home runs off him.
Jon Lester had a rough go in his last outing but returns to Wrigley Field where he has been unhittable this season. The lefty is 3-0 with a 1.80 ERA and a 0.90 WHIP in six home starts this season while giving up just one home run. Lester has only given up four earned runs in 10.2 innings of work against the Cardinals this season.
St. Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
26-27 Chicago battles the Cardinals, currently with a 26-26 mark. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Chicago vs St. Louis injuries news.
The Chicago Cubs sit at No. 16 in the current MLB power poll here at Odds – Shark, while the St. Louis Cardinals sit at No. 20 on the same chart.
Offensively, the game matches up Chicago Cubs No. 15 ranked offense (4.58 runs per game) against a St. Louis Cardinals defense and pitching staff that sits at No. 5 at 4.13 runs allowed per game. The Chicago Cubs have been averaging 8.02 hits per game, less than the St. Louis Cardinals have managed so far this season (8.6 hits on average).
Pitching and defensive stats are important baseball handicapping betting factors and Chicago has the No. 18-ranked defense. In the other dugout, the Cardinals own the No. 5 mark in runs allowed.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
The Cardinals endured a 3-2 loss at the hands of the Cubs on Friday, with L Lynn throwing 5.1 innings of 2-hit ball at Wrigley Field.
- St. Louis is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games
- St. Louis is 5-11 SU in its last 16 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of St. Louis’s last 5 games
- St. Louis is 13-3 ATS in its last 16 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 0-5 ATS in its last 5 games
- Chi Cubs is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Chi Cubs’s last 8 games
- Chi Cubs is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
St. Louis at Chicago, Sunday, June 4th