Jake Arrieta has already managed to pitch the Chicago Cubs to one moneyline victory against the St. Louis Cardinals so far this season as those two teams hit the diamond together in baseball odds action at the sportsbooks on Thursday afternoon.
Arrieta blanked the Cardinals over seven innings of work while striking out seven batters when he faced them back on April 8, in a 2-0 victory for Chicago; Arrieta sits at 3-2 with a 2.84 ERA on the season. John Lackey (1-1, 3.69 ERA) is the probable pitcher for the Cardinals on Thursday afternoon.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
The St. Louis Cardinals were listed as -126 moneyline favorites earlier in the day at BetOnline, while odds makers set the opening total line around 7.5 earlier at Bodog.
Handicapping models based on recent betting stats and prediction formulas pick a 5.2-4.3 win for the Cardinals. A 5.2-4.3 result in favor of the Cardinals is the prediction by the Odds – VSB
handicapping pick engine.
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The St. Louis Cardinals bring a 20-7 record to the battle against the 14-12 Cubs. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and St. Louis vs Chicago injuries news.
The Odds – VSB MLB Power Rankings have the St. Louis Cardinals at No. 3 and the Chicago Cubs at No. 7 heading into this contest.
When it comes to getting on base, the visiting Chicago Cubs rank No. 11 at 8.73 hits per game. That compares with the St. Louis Cardinals No. 3 ranking in that category.
Comparing defensive stats, Chicago owns the No. 25-rated road mark, allowing 5.08 runs per game on the highway. St. Louis, on the other hand, rates No. 6 in scoring at home.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
The Cubs grabbed a win last time out, defeating Lance Lynn and the Cardinals 6-5 on Wednesday at Busch Stadium.
- Chi Cubs is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Chi Cubs’s last 6 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against St. Louis
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Chi Cubs’s last 5 games when playing on the road against St. Louis
- St. Louis is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games
- St. Louis is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games at home
- St. Louis is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Chi Cubs
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of St. Louis’s last 5 games when playing at home against Chi Cubs
Next Betting Matchups
Chicago at Milwaukee, Friday, May 8th
St. Louis at Pittsburgh, Friday, May 8th