With the National League Division series between the Chicago Cub and St. Louis Cardinals tied 1-1, the Cubbies will turn to unhittable Jake Arrieta Monday. Chicago has won their past 14 games when Arrieta pitches, with the last loss the team suffered with the Cy Young candidate pitching being on July 25.
- Arrieta has not allowed a run in 31 consecutive innings entering Game 3.
- Through two games in the series, the Cardinals have already tallied five HRs.
- The Cubs have won 10 of their last 11, including eight on the road.
In the past 32 division series’ that saw the teams 1-1, the winner of Game 3 has gone on to take the series 25 times.
Michael Wacha, who ended the season with a whimper rather than a bang, will get the start for the Cardinals. Wahca has faltered against the Cubs this season with the right-hander posting a 1-2 record and a 6.86 ERA in four starts.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Chicago was a -215 moneyline favorites earlier in the day at BetOnline, based on the starting pitcher matchup. That pairing made odds makers at 5Dimes pick an opening over under number of 5.5.
Handicapping models based on recent betting stats and prediction formulas pick a 5.4-3.3 win for the Cubs. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming MLB matchups here.
St. Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Chicago Cubs bring a 99-66 record to the battle against the 101-63 Cardinals. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Chicago vs St. Louis injuries news.
The Odds – VSB
MLB Power Rankings have the Chicago Cubs at No. 2 and the St. Louis Cardinals at No. 6 heading into this contest.
The game also pits Chicago Cubs No. 16-rated offense, averaging 4.24 runs per game, against a St. Louis Cardinals defense that ranks No. 1 at 3.24 in runs allowed per game. The Chicago Cubs have averaged 8.21 hits per game so far, less than St. Louis Cardinals batters have averaged on the year (8.52 hits per game).
St. Louis brings the No. 1-rated defense to this matchup, facing the Cubs’s No. 4-ranked defense.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
- St. Louis is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of St. Louis’s last 5 games
- St. Louis is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of St. Louis’s last 7 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 10-1 SU in its last 11 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Chi Cubs’s last 5 games
- Chi Cubs is 15-6 SU in its last 21 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Chi Cubs’s last 5 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
St. Louis at Chicago, Tuesday, October 13th