The New York Mets will need to overcome some troubling demons if they want to make it past the Chicago Cubs to the World Series. The Mets have lost all seven of their meetings with the Cubs this season, with New York being outscored 27-11 in those games.
- The Cubs are 5-0 in their last five visiting the Mets.
- Mets Matt Harvey entered the season with a 180-inning soft limits, but has thrown 194.1 so far.
- Ten of the 12 home runs the Cubs hit in the postseason have hit by players 26 or younger.
The Cubs will send Jon Lester to the mound in Game 1, despite Jake Arrieta having enough rest to go. Lester has faced off against the Mets twice this season with the leftie throwing 13.0 innings while allowing only 10 hits and three earned runs.
The Mets struggled to form any offense against the Cubs this season with only two batters registering multiple hits through those seven games. However, all seven of those games came during the first half of the season. In the first half of the season the Mets averaged 3.5 runs per game, but jumped to 5.1 runs in the second half.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Those going with the New York Mets in this one found them listed on the odds board as moneyline favorites of -116 at BetOnline for Saturday’s contest. The betting total was hovering near 6.5 at Bodog.
Handicapping models based on recent betting stats and prediction formulas pick a 5.4-4.3 win for the Cubs. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming MLB matchups here.
Chicago Cubs vs New York Mets Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The New York Mets sport a record of 93-74 heading into this matchup, while the Chicago Cubs sit at 100-66 on the season Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and New York vs Chicago injuries news.
This game matches up the No. 14 (New York Mets) and the No. 2 (Chicago Cubs) teams, according to our current MLB Power Rankings.
Scoring stats point to some edges in this matchup. The game features the New York Mets No. 17-ranked scoring average of 4.22 runs per game, against a Chicago Cubs offense rated No. 16 and scoring 4.27 runs per game. The Mets have averaged 8.3 hits per game to date this season, more than the Cubs hitters have managed (8.23 per nine innings).
Pitching and defensive stats are important baseball handicapping betting factors and New York has the No. 5-ranked defense. In the other dugout, the Cubs own the No. 4 mark in runs allowed.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
The Mets enjoyed a 3-2 victory at the expense of the Dodgers on Thursday, with J deGrom throwing 6 innings of 6-hit ball at Dodger Stadium.
- Chi Cubs is 12-1 SU in its last 13 games
- Chi Cubs is 11-1 SU in its last 12 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Chi Cubs’s last 5 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing NY Mets
- NY Mets is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of NY Mets’s last 9 games
- NY Mets is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of NY Mets’s last 5 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Chicago at New York, Sunday, October 18th