The Chicago Cubs are still the favorites to win their first World Series since 1908, but they haven’t resembled their former selves lately. The Cubbies continue their nine-game road trip against the San Diego Padres on Monday.
- The visiting team is 4-1 SU in its last five games in this matchup.
- The Cubs are 8-2 SU in their last 10 games after a loss.
- The total has gone OVER in nine of the Cubs’ last 11 games on the road with Jon Lester as the starting pitcher.
Jon Lester and Edwin Jackson will get the ball for the Cubs and Padres, respectively. Lester (13-4, 2.86 ERA) is 1-1 with a 3.44 ERA in three starts against the Padres after an 8-7 victory on May 10.
Jackson (3-3, 5.36) allowed nine hits and a season-high eight runs in four innings of a 15-1 loss at Tampa Bay last Tuesday. The 32-year-old was 16-34 with a 5.37 ERA in 82 games with Chicago from 13-15, and is 3-2 with a 5.20 ERA in six outings with San Diego this year.
Stringing together wins has been a tall order for San Diego lately. In the Padres’ last 12 games after a win, they’re 1-11.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Sportsbooks such as Bodog had installed the San Diego Padres as 194 moneyline underdogs in this particular MLB betting odds matchup. The total, meanwhile, was set early at 8 before betting at 5Dimes started to move the line.
Odds – Shark
computer prediction formulas pick a 6.2-3.1 win for the Cubs on Monday. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming MLB matchups here.
Chicago Cubs vs San Diego Padres Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
San Diego (53-71) will face the 78-45 Cubs in this tilt. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and San Diego vs Chicago injuries news.
The San Diego Padres sit at No. 17 in the current MLB power poll here at Odds – Shark
, while the Chicago Cubs sit at No. 1 on the same chart.
The game also pits San Diego Padres No. 20-rated offense, averaging 4.39 runs per game, against a Chicago Cubs defense that ranks No. 1 at 3.44 in runs allowed per game. The San Diego Padres have averaged 8.06 hits per game so far, less than Chicago Cubs batters have averaged on the year (8.76 hits per game).
Chicago brings the No. 1-rated defense to this matchup, facing the Padres’s No. 25-ranked defense.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
Chicago suffered a 11-4 loss against Colorado on Sunday, as J Hammel wasn’t able to lead his team to victory at Coors Field.
San Diego rolled to a 9-1 win against Arizona on Sunday, as Luis Perdomo and the Padres’ bats led the team to victory at PETCO Park.
- Chi Cubs is 5-2 ATS in its last 7 games
- Chi Cubs is 16-4 SU in its last 20 games
- Chi Cubs is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 5-13 ATS in its last 18 games on the road
- San Diego is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
- San Diego is 3-6 SU in its last 9 games
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of San Diego’s last 7 games
- San Diego is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Chicago at San Diego, Tuesday, August 23rd