The Chicago Cubs can collect their seventh victory in nine games with a triumph over the lowly San Diego Padres on Tuesday for the middle contest of their three-game set.
- The Cubs are 3-0 SU in their last three games on the road against the Padres.
- The total has gone UNDER in the Cubs’ last three games on the road against the Padres.
- The total has gone UNDER in six of the Cubs’ last eight games with a closing total of 8.0 or less.
Jake Arrieta and Christian Friedrich will get the start. Arrieta (15-5, 2.75 ERA) recorded his third straight victory and NL-leading 15th of the season on Thursday against Milwaukee. The 30-year-old has yielded four or more runs in five of his last nine outings but has gone 2-2 in that span.
Friedrich (4-9, 4.69) lost his seventh consecutive decision on Wednesday against Tampa Bay. The 29-year-old is 2-3 with a 5.08 ERA in seven turns at home this season, and he’s allowed an unearned run and three hits over 3 1/3 frames in two career relief appearances against Chicago.
When Friedrich gets the ball at home, the OVER is trending. The Padres have gone OVER the total in six of their last seven home games behind the hurler.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Betting fans looking to pick the San Diego Padres in this matchup found them as 212 underdogs on the MLB money line at BetOnline. Betting the over under instead? It was 7.5 at its open earlier today and hovering near that number at Bodog.
Odds – Shark
prediction models pick the Cubs to win this game 6.1-2.9. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming MLB matchups here.
Chicago Cubs vs San Diego Padres Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The San Diego Padres sport a record of 53-72 heading into this matchup, while the Chicago Cubs sit at 79-45 on the season Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and San Diego vs Chicago injuries news.
The San Diego Padres vs Chicago Cubs odds would favor the Cubs if the betting lines were set according to our power ranks. San Diego is rated No. 17 in the current Odds – Shark
poll, while Chicago is at No. 1.
When it comes to getting on base, the visiting Chicago Cubs rank No. 15 at 8.77 hits per game. That compares with the San Diego Padres No. 29 ranking in that category.
Defensively, Chicago features the No. 4-rated defense on the road, allowing 3.97 runs per game. San Diego, meanwhile, comes in at No. 19 at home, scoring 4.37 runs per game.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
The Cubs enjoyed a 5-1 victory at the expense of the Padres on Monday, with J Lester throwing 6 innings of 5-hit ball at PETCO Park.
- Chi Cubs is 6-2 ATS in its last 8 games
- Chi Cubs is 17-4 SU in its last 21 games
- Chi Cubs is 5-2 ATS in its last 7 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 6-13 ATS in its last 19 games on the road
- San Diego is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
- San Diego is 3-7 SU in its last 10 games
- San Diego is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of San Diego’s last 9 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Chicago at San Diego, Wednesday, August 24th