Dayton’s Dyshawn Pierre denied reinstatement by federal judge

Dyshawn Pierre will not play for Dayton until mid-December at the earliest. (USATSI)

Dayton star forward Dyshawn Pierre, who was suspended from school this semester following a sexual assault allegation, will not be allowed back on campus for the next seven weeks.

A federal judge ruled this week that Pierre must abide by the decision of the school.

Pierre made his case public and even more prominent vis-à-vis suing the school for reinstatement two weeks ago.

More on the latest details, via the Associated Press’ report from Ohio:

On Monday, U.S. District Judge Thomas Rose denied a motion for a temporary order that would have stopped the school from enforcing the suspension. Pierre sued earlier this month, calling the school’s investigation into the female student’s allegation “fundamentally unfair” with a “wholly irrational, unsubstantiated” conclusion after a hearing that didn’t accommodate Pierre’s learning disability. The lawsuit noted that Montgomery County prosecutors declined to file charges against Pierre after what he says was a consensual sexual encounter with a UD student last spring.

Judge Rose declared Pierre hasn’t fallen under excessive harm or irreversible damage to his reputation, and that in cases of this nature, reversing course without definite evidence or a reversal of testimony is not sufficient.

Following the ruling, Peter Ginsberg, counsel for Pierre, said his client’s suit would continue against the University of Dayton.

“We are disappointed that the university has been so unwilling to recognize how defective its procedures have been and how unfair the university has acted toward Dyshawn,” Ginsberg said, according to the AP.

Dayton, which was picked by league coaches in the A-10 to finish No. 1, begins its season at home on Nov. 13 against Southeast Missouri State.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Comment