One of sport’s greatest rivalries will kick off the NHL season when the Toronto Maple Leafs host the Montreal Canadiens at the Air Canada Center. The Leafs start a new era with new coach Mike Babcock at the helm and hope to rebound from yet another disappointing season that saw them finish second to last in the conference.
- Montreal is 5-0 SU in their last 5 games vs Toronto.
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Toronto’s last 13 games.
- Carey Price is 17-14 in his career vs Toronto.
The Canadiens, meanwhile, finished second in the conference and are eyeing a Stanley Cup run. Oddsmakers give Montreal the 11th best odds in the NHL at capturing the Cup, while the Leafs rank a dreadful 28th. View those odds here.
Hockey fans might be surprised to hear that the Leafs have a slight edge in the series against Montreal over the past 25 years, going 55-52-5. Toronto has also started their past five seasons strong, going 4-1 in season openers, with the Canadiens going just 1-4.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
On the opening NHL betting line for this matchup, Toronto sat as -110 over at BetOnline. The total was set at 5.5 at Bodog but may move closer to puck drop.
Handicapping models based on recent betting stats and prediction formulas pick a 2.5-1.2 win for the Canadiens. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming NHL matchups here.
Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Toronto Maple Leafs sport a record of 30-44-8 heading into this matchup, while the Montreal Canadiens sit at 56-27-11 on the season. The OVER/UNDER records are 38-42-2 for the Maple Leafs and 32-45-17 for the Canadiens. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Toronto vs Montreal injuries news.
This game matches up the No. 29 (Toronto Maple Leafs) and the No. 24 (Montreal Canadiens) teams according to our current NHL Power Rankings.
Offensively, the game matches up the Toronto Maple Leafs No. 24-ranked offense (2.57 goals per game) against a Montreal Canadiens defense that ranks No. 2 at 2.32 goals per game allowed. The Maple Leafs powerplay has clicked at a 15.9% rate while the Canadiens have a 81.82% rate on the penalty kill.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
In their last action, Montreal was a 4-1 loser on the road against the Lightning. Bettors on Tampa Bay at -137 on the moneyline collected their winnings from that game, while the total score (5) sent OVER bettors home happy as well.
- Montreal is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Montreal’s last 6 games on the road
- Montreal is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Toronto
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Montreal’s last 9 games when playing Toronto
- Toronto is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Toronto’s last 13 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Toronto’s last 7 games at home
- Toronto is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Montreal
Next Betting Matchups
Montreal at Boston, Saturday, October 10th
Toronto at Detroit, Friday, October 9th