The Cubs managed to salvage a series split against their Windy City rivals and will continue their run of interleague play as they play host to the Mariners. Veteran lefty Jon Lester (10-4, 3.09 ERA) will get the call for the Cubbies in the series opener to face a streaking Hisashi Iwakuma (11-6, 3.96 ERA).
- The Cubs are 8-3 in their last 11 games with Jon Lester as the starting pitcher.
- The total has gone UNDER in 15 of the Mariners’ last 20 games as an underdog.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of the Cubs’ last 5 games during the afternoon.
The Mariners have been drooling at the opportunity to play interleague ball this year as they have a sparkling 10-4 record through 14 games against the National League. They have, however, had a tough go of it on the road of late and could be in for a reality check against Chicago.
Iwakuma has won five straight decisions and eight of his last 10 and should give the Mariners a decent shot to upset the World Series favorite Cubs. The Japanese international has pitched better on the road this season, posting a 3.63 ERA through 11 starts away from home.
Lester is night and day home and away this year. At Wrigley, he owns a 2.18 ERA compared to 4.03 road ERA. His recent struggles can probably be attributed to this trend and he should be good to go tonight.
Seattle Mariners vs Chicago Cubs Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
Chicago (61-40) will face the 51-49 Mariners in this tilt. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Chicago vs Seattle injuries news.
The Odds – Shark
MLB Power Rankings have the Chicago Cubs at No. 13 and the Seattle Mariners at No. 16 heading into this contest.
On offense, it’s a battle between the Chicago Cubs and its No. 4-rated batting order, averaging 5.04 runs per nine innings, against the No. 9 line up of the Seattle Mariners at 4.75 runs per outing.
Comparing defensive stats, Seattle owns the No. 13-rated road mark, allowing 4.44 runs per game on the highway. Chicago, on the other hand, rates No. 9 in scoring at home.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
Seattle suffered a 10-1 loss against Pittsburgh on Wednesday, as J Paxton wasn’t able to lead his team to victory at PNC Park.
Chicago got the job done in their last match in a 3-1 victory over Chicago on Thursday at Wrigley Field behind starter J Lackey.
- Seattle is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Seattle’s last 6 games
- Seattle is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
- Seattle is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games on the road
- Chi Cubs are 2-4 ATS in their last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Chi Cubs’ last 13 games
- Chi Cubs are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games at home
- Chi Cubs are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Seattle at Chicago, Saturday, July 30th