The Mariners will send King Felix (5-4, 3.45 ERA) to the mound tonight in an attempt to dethrone the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field. A win tonight, in a game they will face the Cubbies newest acquisition, Brian Matusz (12.00 ERA), would give Seattle the series victory.
- The Mariners are 14-21 against lefty starters this season.
- The Cubs have won 2 of 3 series since the All-Star break.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of the last 5 games in this matchup.
Brian Matusz has not made a start in the Major Leagues since 2012 and has been terrible in his relief role for the Baltimore Orioles this year. He was recently picked up and released by the Braves so that should tell you all you need to know about the lefty. Maybe the Cubs know something I don’t.
Hernandez got his first win since May in his last start despite giving up four runs and nine hits. He has been pretty bad since coming off the D.L. and he may have another stint on the shelf in his future if he continues to throw meatballs down the heart of the plate.
I have no idea what the hell the Cubs are doing here but if they can get to Felix it shouldn’t matter. I think you have to take advantage of Chicago’s moneyline today.
Seattle Mariners vs Chicago Cubs Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
Chicago (62-41) will face the 52-50 Mariners in this tilt. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Chicago vs Seattle injuries news.
The MLB Power Rankings show a disparity between these teams, with the Chicago Cubs rated this week at No. 13 and the Seattle Mariners sitting at No. 16.
Offensively, the game matches up Chicago Cubs No. 4 ranked offense (5.07 runs per game) against a Seattle Mariners defense and pitching staff that sits at No. 13 at 4.39 runs allowed per game. The Chicago Cubs have been averaging 8.57 hits per game, less than the Seattle Mariners have managed so far this season (8.84 hits on average).
Pitching and defensive stats are important baseball handicapping betting factors and Chicago has the No. 1-ranked defense. In the other dugout, the Mariners own the No. 13 mark in runs allowed.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
Seattle rolled to a 4-1 win against Chicago on Saturday, as W Miley and the Mariners’ bats led the team to victory at Wrigley Field.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Seattle’s last 6 games
- Seattle is 6-14 SU in its last 20 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Seattle’s last 6 games on the road
- Seattle is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing Chi Cubs
- The total has gone UNDER in 11 of Chi Cubs’s last 15 games
- Chi Cubs is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- Chi Cubs is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Chi Cubs’s last 12 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Seattle home to Boston, Monday, August 1st
Chicago home to Miami, Monday, August 1st