Maryland will get a second season of Melo Trimble.
The freshman sensation announced in a release from the school on Wednesday that he will stick around College Park for his sophomore season instead of foregoing his final three seasons to enter the NBA Draft.
“We did our due diligence and also had a number of great discussions with Melo and his mom regarding what would be best for his future,” Turgeon said. “He is excited about playing with a great team and is looking forward to his sophomore year at Maryland.”
Trimble echoed his coach’s words.
“I am excited about spending another year with my teammates and building on what we accomplished this year,” Trimble said. “I want to thank Coach Turgeon for helping my mom and I through this process. This was the best decision for me. Being a member of the Maryland basketball program has been an unbelievable experience and I can’t wait to be back in front of the best fans in college basketball next season.”
The guard averaged 16.2 points for the Terps this past season. He utilized the free throw better than possibly anyone in the country, knocking down 207 free throws at an 86 percent rate, on his way to a first team All-Big Ten selection and a first team All-Freshman team selection nationally on the CBSSports.com team.
Word was that Trimble had decided to declare for the draft if he was projected as a lottery pick, but his stock was not that high when he explored. I took Trimble off of my board last week when rumors circulated that this was going to happen, but he was a top-50 prospect for me prior to his declaration. Trimble is a terrific scorer, but could use the extra year to develop his playmaking skills.
He’ll be surrounded by a terrific roster next season, with Jake Layman possibly returning, rising sophomores Jared Nickens and Dion Wiley improving, and incoming five-star recruit Diamond Stone arriving. With those guys around along with Trimble, Maryland could very well be a top-10 team heading into 2015-16.