The battle for baseball supremacy in Pennsylvania has not traditionally seen high-scoring affairs. The UNDER is 8-2 in the past 10 games between the Pittsburgh Pirates and Philadelphia Phillies, as the two clubs have averaged a combined 5.6 runs per game in that span. The teams will take to the field for the series rubber match at PNC Park Sunday.
- The Phillies are 9-16 against the NL Central this season.
- The Pirates are 13-6 SU and against the runline in their past 19 games.
- Odubel Herrera is batting 6-for-9 with four runs so far this series.
A brief stint on the DL did not derail Vince Velasquez, as the righty has gone 3-0 with a 1.88 ERA in his past four starts. Velasquez has not surrendered more than two runs in an outing in his past six trips to the bump.
Rookie Jameson Taillon will get the ball for the Pirates after the pitcher showed his toughness by going six strong innings in his last outing despite taking a line drive off the head in the second. In Taillon’s last two starts he has allowed just two runs and has not registered a single walk.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Betting fans looking to pick the visiting Philadelphia Phillies before the first pitch in this match found them as 139 moneyline underdogs earlier today at Bodog. They saw the over/under total of 8 earlier at TopBet.
Prediction-scoring formulas run on this game pick a potential 4.2-3.3 result in favor of the Phillies. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming MLB matchups here.
Philadelphia Phillies vs Pittsburgh Pirates Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Pittsburgh Pirates bring a 50-47 record to the battle against the 45-54 Phillies. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia injuries news.
The MLB Power Rankings show a disparity between these teams, with the Pittsburgh Pirates rated this week at No. 9 and the Philadelphia Phillies sitting at No. 12.
Rating these teams in several key categories is important for handicappers and Pittsburgh has baseball’s No. 13-rated offensive output, at 9 hits per game. The Philadelphia Phillies average 7.99 hits per game, good for No. 29 on the list.
Comparing defensive stats, Philadelphia owns the No. 27-rated road mark, allowing 4.9 runs per game on the highway. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, rates No. 9 in scoring at home.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
Philadelphia suffered a 7-4 loss against Pittsburgh on Saturday, as Aaron Nola wasn’t able to lead his team to victory at PNC Park.
- Philadelphia is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Philadelphia’s last 9 games
- Philadelphia is 11-3 ATS in its last 14 games on the road
- Philadelphia is 6-3 SU in its last 9 games on the road
- Pittsburgh is 13-6 ATS in its last 19 games
- Pittsburgh is 13-6 SU in its last 19 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh’s last 8 games
- Pittsburgh is 8-4 ATS in its last 12 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Philadelphia at Miami, Monday, July 25th
Pittsburgh home to Seattle, Tuesday, July 26th