After a season mired with inconsistencies, the Pittsburgh Pirates appear to be getting it together at the right time. Winners of four straight and eight in a row on the road, the Buccos travel to the Chicago for a date with the Cubs who hold a 14-game lead in the National League Central.
- The Pirates are 3-11 SU in their last 14 games against the Cubs.
- The total has gone OVER in eight of the Pirates’ last 10 games after consecutive wins.
- The total has gone UNDER in 16 of the Cubs’ last 22 games at home after consecutive wins at home.
Steven Brault and Jake Arrieta will take the bump. Brault (0-1, 3.60 ERA) hasn’t played since July 29 at Milwaukee, but he’s struggled in his last two minor league outings, allowing 10 runs over 6 1/3 frames in Triple-A.
Arrieta (16-5, 2.62) has enjoyed a productive month, going 4-0 with a 1.98 ERA in four starts. The 30-year-old is 9-2 with a 1.99 ERA in 13 starts against the Pirates, including a 3-1 record and 2.67 ERA in four meetings this season.
When the Pirates and Cubs collide, OVER bettors are profiting. The OVER is 4-0 in the last four meetings between the clubs.
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Chicago Cubs Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Chicago Cubs sport a record of 82-47 heading into this matchup, while the Pittsburgh Pirates sit at 67-61 on the season Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Chicago vs Pittsburgh injuries news.
This game matches up the No. 3 (Chicago Cubs) and the No. 6 (Pittsburgh Pirates) teams, according to our current MLB Power Rankings.
Rating these teams in several key categories is important for handicappers and Chicago has baseball’s No. 3-rated offensive output, at 8.75 hits per game. The Pittsburgh Pirates average 8.77 hits per game, good for No. 15 on the list.
Defensively, Pittsburgh features the No. 15-rated defense on the road, allowing 4.5 runs per game. Chicago, meanwhile, comes in at No. 7 at home, scoring 4.92 runs per game.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
Pittsburgh rolled to a 3-1 win against Milwaukee on Sunday, as I Nova and the Pirates’ bats led the team to victory at Miller Park.
Brock Stewart shut down the Cubs in their last game, striking out 0 in a 1-0 shutout over Chicago in baseball action at Dodger Stadium.
- Pittsburgh is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games
- Pittsburgh is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh’s last 9 games
- Pittsburgh is 7-1 ATS in its last 8 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games
- Chi Cubs is 19-6 SU in its last 25 games
- Chi Cubs is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- Chi Cubs is 12-2 SU in its last 14 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Pittsburgh at Chicago, Tuesday, August 30th