It is now clear that no team has a chance to catch the Cubs in the NL Central but there is still plenty to fight for, for the Pittsburgh Pirates. They sit just 1.5 games back of the final playoff spot and as we’ve seen from teams like the Mets, once you get in, anything can happen.
- The Pirates are 3-12 in their last 15 games against the Cubs.
- The Cubs are 7-1 in their last eight games at home with Kyle Hendricks as the starting pitcher.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of the Pirates’ last 7 games as underdogs.
The Cubs outlasted the Bucs last night in a 13-inning thriller. Pittsburgh carried the lead into the bottom of the ninth but gave up a game-tying home run to Jorge Soler that forced extras.
Pittsburgh will send Chad Kuhl (3-1, 3.50 ERA) to the mound tonight to try and even up the series and based on recent trends, they have a decent shot to do so. Kuhl has been above average for a rookie and the Pirates have lost just one game in the eight starts made by him so far.
Starter Kyle Hendricks (12-7, 2.19 ERA) will have something to say about the result tonight. He has the best ERA of all hurlers on a pitching staff that includes Jake Arrieta and has only allowed more than two earned runs once in his last 13 starts. The Californian has been almost unhittable at home and has a 1.31 ERA through 13 starts at Wrigley.
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Chicago Cubs Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Chicago Cubs sport a record of 83-47 heading into this matchup, while the Pittsburgh Pirates sit at 67-62 on the season Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Chicago vs Pittsburgh injuries news.
The Odds – Shark
MLB Power Rankings have the Chicago Cubs at No. 3 and the Pittsburgh Pirates at No. 6 heading into this contest.
At the plate, Chicago owns the No. 14 ranking for hits at 8.82 per game. By contrast, the Pittsburgh Pirates are rated No. 15 in the same category at 8.8 per game.
Comparing defensive stats, Pittsburgh owns the No. 15-rated road mark, allowing 4.55 runs per game on the highway. Chicago, on the other hand, rates No. 6 in scoring at home.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
Pittsburgh lost a tight one on Monday, seeing the game get away from them in extra innings and falling by a 8-7 score against Chicago at Wrigley Field.
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
- Pittsburgh is 8-1 ATS in its last 9 games on the road
- Pittsburgh is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 5-2 ATS in its last 7 games
- Chi Cubs is 19-6 SU in its last 25 games
- Chi Cubs is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- Chi Cubs is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Pittsburgh at Chicago, Wednesday, August 31st