The Chicago Cubs have had a habit of fading away late in the season in past years, but it doesn’t look like that’s happening in 2016. The Cubs are 21-6 in the month of August and will look to make it 22 wins when they face the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday.
- The Pirates are 3-13 SU in their last 16 games against the Cubs.
- The total has gone OVER in five of the Pirates’ last six games against the Cubs.
- The Cubs are 5-0 SU in their last five games at home with Jason Hammel as the starting pitcher.
Ryan Vogelsong and Jason Hammel are the probable starters. Vogelsong (3-3, 3.02 ERA) has gone 2-2 with a 2.48 ERA in five starts with month and won at Milwaukee in his last time out. The veteran is 5-7 with a 5.60 ERA in 20 career games against the Cubbies.
Hammel (13-7, 3.21) has lost two straight starts following a six-start winning streak and allowed 13 runs in 5 2/3 frames over those two outings. Hammel is 7-5 with a 3.78 ERA in 14 career contests versus Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Chicago Cubs Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
Chicago (84-47) will face the 67-63 Pirates in this tilt. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Chicago vs Pittsburgh injuries news.
This game matches up the No. 3 (Chicago Cubs) and the No. 6 (Pittsburgh Pirates) teams, according to our current MLB Power Rankings.
Offensively, the game matches up Chicago Cubs No. 3 ranked offense (5.08 runs per game) against a Pittsburgh Pirates defense and pitching staff that sits at No. 16 at 4.45 runs allowed per game. The Chicago Cubs have been averaging 8.79 hits per game, more than the Pittsburgh Pirates have managed so far this season (8.76 hits on average).
Pitching and defensive stats are important baseball handicapping betting factors and Chicago has the No. 1-ranked defense. In the other dugout, the Pirates own the No. 16 mark in runs allowed.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
The Pirates were shut out in their last start, struggling to get much going against the Chicago staff and losing 3-0 to the Cubs on Tuesday at Wrigley Field.
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
- Pittsburgh is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Pittsburgh’s last 6 games
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 6-2 ATS in its last 8 games
- Chi Cubs is 19-6 SU in its last 25 games
- Chi Cubs is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games at home
- Chi Cubs is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Pittsburgh home to Milwaukee, Friday, September 2nd
Chicago home to San Francisco, Thursday, September 1st