It’s only June, but the Pittsburgh Pirates aren’t doing themselves any favors in the National League Central race. The fading Pirates have dropped seven of their last eight heading into Friday afternoon’s series opener at Wrigley Field against division rival Chicago. The Cubbies own the league’s best home record at 22-8.
- The Cubs are 8-2 SU in their last 10 games at home.
- The Pirates are 16-4 OU in their last 20 games during the afternoon.
- The Cubs are 6-0 SU in their last 6 games after a loss.
Francisco Liriano and Jake Arrieta will get the start for the Bucs and Cubs, respectively. Liriano (4-6, 4.92 ERA) dropped his third-straight decision last Saturday against the St. Louis Cardinals. The 32-year-old is putting up terrible numbers on the road this year, going 1-3 with a 7.09 ERA in six starts.
Arrieta (10-1, 1.86) rebounded from his first loss by holding Atlanta to two runs on four hits and two walks in an 8-2 victory last Saturday. The ace is 8-1 with a 1.58 ERA in 11 career starts against the Pirates.
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Chicago Cubs Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Chicago Cubs sport a record of 44-20 heading into this matchup, while the Pittsburgh Pirates sit at 33-33 on the season Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Chicago vs Pittsburgh injuries news.
The Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates odds would favor the Cubs if the betting lines were set according to our power ranks. Chicago is rated No. 1 in the current Odds – Shark
poll, while Pittsburgh is at No. 27.
The game also pits Chicago Cubs No. 3-rated offense, averaging 5.38 runs per game, against a Pittsburgh Pirates defense that ranks No. 21 at 4.7 in runs allowed per game. The Chicago Cubs have averaged 8.61 hits per game so far, less than Pittsburgh Pirates batters have averaged on the year (9.41 hits per game).
Pitching and defensive stats are important baseball handicapping betting factors and Chicago has the No. 1-ranked defense. In the other dugout, the Pirates own the No. 21 mark in runs allowed.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
Pittsburgh didn’t get the job done in their last match, falling 6-4 to New York on Thursday at Citi Field.
The Cubs got to extra innings, but lost when they got there against Washington on Wednesday; it was a 5-4 final at Nationals Park in MLB wagering action.
- Pittsburgh is 1-6 ATS in its last 7 games
- Pittsburgh is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Pittsburgh’s last 8 games
- Pittsburgh is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games on the road
- Chi Cubs is 15-6 SU in its last 21 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 13 of Chi Cubs’s last 19 games
- Chi Cubs is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Chi Cubs’s last 11 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Pittsburgh at Chicago, Saturday, June 18th