The Washington Nationals and Pittsburgh Pirates were both seen as playoff-caliber teams prior to the beginning of the 2016 season, but only one has emerged as a real postseason threat at the All-Star break. Five games under .500, the Pirates will try and turn the ship around when they travel to D.C. to take on the Nats on Friday.
- The Pirates are 9-2 SU and 10-1 ATS in their last 11 games.
- The total has gone OVER in the Pirates’ last four games with Francisco Liriano as the starting pitcher.
- The total has gone OVER in 12 of the Nationals’ last 13 games with Stephen Strasburg as the starting pitcher.
Francisco Liriano and Stephen Strasburg are slated to get the ball for the Pirates and Nationals, respectively. Liriano (5-8, 5.15 ERA) has rebounded from a terrible stretch to allow four runs in his last two outings.
Strasburg (12-0, 2.62) opted to skip the All-Star Game due to nagging injuries, but he’s been lights-out all year long. Strasburg is 2-2 with a 2.83 ERA in five career starts against the Pirates.
When the Nats and Pirates collide, the OVER is red-hot. In the last four matchups between the squads, the OVER is 4-1.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Betting fans looking to pick the visiting Pittsburgh Pirates before the first pitch in this match found them as 190 moneyline underdogs earlier today at Bodog. They saw the over/under total of 8 earlier at TopBet.
Prediction-scoring formulas run on this game pick a potential 5.1-3.6 result in favor of the Nationals. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming MLB matchups here.
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Washington Nationals Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
54-36 Washington battles the Pirates, currently with a 46-43 mark. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Washington vs Pittsburgh injuries news.
The Washington Nationals vs Pittsburgh Pirates odds would favor the Nationals if the betting lines were set according to our power ranks. Washington is rated No. 4 in the current Odds – Shark
poll, while Pittsburgh is at No. 9.
When it comes to getting on base, the visiting Pittsburgh Pirates rank No. 8 at 9.15 hits per game. That compares with the Washington Nationals No. 21 ranking in that category.
Pittsburgh brings the No. 18-rated defense to this matchup, facing the Nationals’s No. 1-ranked defense.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
The Pirates endured a 6-5 loss at the hands of the Cubs on Sunday, with J Niese throwing 3.2 innings of 8-hit ball at PNC Park.
Washington rolled to a 3-2 win against New York on Sunday, as G Gonzalez and the Nationals’ bats led the team to victory at Citi Field.
- Pittsburgh is 10-1 ATS in its last 11 games
- Pittsburgh is 9-2 SU in its last 11 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Pittsburgh’s last 5 games
- Pittsburgh is 7-1 ATS in its last 8 games on the road
- Washington is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
- Washington is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Washington’s last 7 games
- Washington is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Pittsburgh at Washington, Saturday, July 16th