The Montreal Canadiens have won their first five games to open a season for the first time in the team’s illustrious history. The Habs will go for their sixth consecutive win, a feat they have only accomplished twice in the past five regular seasons, when they host their first home game of the season against the Detroit Red Wings Saturday.
- The Canadiens swept the season series against the Red Wings last season.
- Wings backup goalie Petr Mrazek will get his first start in his career against the Canadiens.
- The best start the Habs have ever had through six games came in 1977-78 (five wins and one tie).
Though goalie Carey Price has been his usual self in net, it is the Canadiens offense that has been surprisingly efficient in the early part of the season. Montreal is averaging 3.25 goals per game compared to their paltry 2.61 last season.
The Red Wings are coming off their first loss of the season to the Carolina Hurricanes Friday. The Wings allowed five goals in that contest, which was one more than they allowed in their first three games combined.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Sportsbooks such as Bodog had the Montreal Canadiens as -154 favorites earlier today. The over under opened at 5 at MyBookie for betting fans hoping to turn a profit on totals.
Odds – VSB
prediction models pick the Canadiens to win this game 3-2.7. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming NHL matchups here.
Detroit Red Wings vs Montreal Canadiens Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
Montreal will face the 3-1-0 Red Wings. In totals betting, the Canadiens are 1-3-1 in over under betting so far this season while the Detroit Red Wings are 2-2. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Montreal vs Detroit injuries news.
It’s an NHL hockey betting matchup between the No. 13-rated Montreal Canadiens and the No. 16-ranked Detroit Red Wings, according to the latest NHL power poll here at Odds – VSB
Offensively, the game matches up the Montreal Canadiens No. 13-ranked offense (3.2 goals per game) against a Detroit Red Wings defense that ranks No. 9 at 2.25 goals per game allowed. The Canadiens powerplay has clicked at a 9.52% rate while the Red Wings have a 83.33% rate on the penalty kill.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
Detroit was a 5-3 loser in its last match at home against the Hurricanes. They lost as favorites, while the total score of 8 made winners of OVER bettors.
Montreal was a 3-0 winner in its last match at home against the Rangers. They won as favorites, while the total score of 3 made winners of UNDER bettors.
- Detroit is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Detroit’s last 6 games on the road
- Detroit is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Montreal
- Detroit is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Montreal
- Montreal is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- Montreal is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Detroit
- Montreal is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Detroit
Next Betting Matchups
Detroit at Edmonton, Wednesday, October 21st
Montreal home to St. Louis, Tuesday, October 20th