Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final takes place tonight in Pittsburgh, and the Penguins will be looking to win their third Stanley Cup in franchise history. The home team has won three of the four games in the series so far, which follows suit with the history of this matchup, as the home team is 15-5 in the last 20 games between the Pens and Sharks.
– Shark bites
- The Penguins are 11-2 in their last 13 games on Thursday.
- The total has gone UNDER in the Sharks’ last four games on the road against the Penguins.
- The total has gone UNDER in the Penguins’ last four games after a win.
After being the NHL’s top road team during the regular season, the Sharks are struggling outside of San Jose at the wrong time, going just 2-6 in their last eight road games. The Penguins haven’t been easy to beat in the Steel City lately, as they’ve gone 12-3 over their last 15 home games.
Pittsburgh opened the day as -167 favorites with San Jose coming back at +151. There’s a few odds related trends working in the Sharks’ favor tonight, as they’ve gone 12-4 in their last 16 games as underdogs and are a perfect 7-0 in their last seven games after losing as a favorite.
If you have a feeling the Sharks can come back to win this series, you’re best off ignoring it. As mentioned in our recent futures update, teams who are up 3-1 in the Stanley Cup Final have won the series 30 straight times.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Sportsbooks such as Bodog had the Pittsburgh Penguins as -154 moneyline favorites in this particular NHL betting matchup earlier. The over under total, meanwhile, was set early at 5 before betting started to move the line at Bet365.
Odds – Shark score prediction models pick a 3.2-2 result in favor of the Penguins today. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming NHL matchups here.
San Jose Sharks vs Pittsburgh Penguins Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Pittsburgh Penguins are 63-30-11 so far on the season. The San Jose Sharks, meanwhile, are 59-35-10. OVER/UNDER betting fans have seen Pittsburgh go 45-41-18 and the Sharks go 51-42-11 on the totals. Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Pittsburgh vs San Jose injuries news.
The NHL Power Rankings show a disparity between these teams, with the Pittsburgh Penguins rated this week at No. 1 and the San Jose Sharks sitting at No. 2.
The game also pits Pittsburgh’s No. 2-ranked offense, averaging 3.01 goals per game, against a Sharks defense that ranks No. 7 at 2.51 goals allowed. The Penguins power play is averaging 19.34% while the Sharks defense kills off 80.21% of their penalties.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of San Jose’s last 5 games
- San Jose is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of San Jose’s last 5 games on the road
- San Jose is 16-8 SU in its last 24 games when playing Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Pittsburgh’s last 5 games
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Pittsburgh’s last 6 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
San Jose home to Pittsburgh, Sunday, June 12th