Syracuse issues self-imposed ban from postseason in 2015


Jim Boeheim's Orange won't be going to the NCAA or the NIT in 2015. (USATSI)
Jim Boeheim’s Orange won’t be going to the NCAA or the NIT in 2015. (USATSI)

Syracuse University has self-imposed a ban on its men’s basketball team from postseason play this year in response to an NCAA investigation, the university announced Wednesday.

Syracuse imposed the ban “as a further means of past mistakes,” according to a press release from the university.

“I am very disappointed that our basketball team will miss the opportunity to play in the post-season this year,” basketball coach Jim Boeheim said in the release. “However, I supported this decision and I believe the University is doing the right thing by acknowledging that past mistakes occurred. Our players have faced adversity and challenges before. I know they will rise to this challenge by keeping our program strong and continuing to make our University proud.”

Syracuse indicated that ithe NCAA had been previously notified of the ban by the university as part of its pending case before the NCAA Committee on Infractions. The university initiated the investigations at the time it self-reported potential violations to the NCAA in 2007.

“Much of the conduct involved in the case occurred long ago and none occurred after 2012,” the release said. “No current student-athlete is involved.”

“The University has taken this matter seriously and worked with the NCAA for nearly eight years to investigate and address potential rules violations,” Chancelor Kent Syverud said in the release. “The process has been exhaustive.”

The one-year ban includes the NCAA tournament, the NIT and the ACC tournament, per the release. The Orange own a 6-3 ACC record and a 15-7 overall record.


Source link

Leave a Comment