Jake Arrieta has been arguably the best pitcher in baseball since the All-Star break, which has led the Chicago Cubs to win 13 of the righthander’s last 14 starts including nine consecutive games. The Cubs will continue their pivotal series with the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday.
- The total has gone OVER in seven of the Pirates’ last eight games.
- The Cubs are 8-4 SU in their last 12 games.
- Pirates SP AJ Burnett gave up three runs in five innings in his first start back from the DL on Sept. 10.
Since the All-Star break Arrieta is 9-1 with an 0.93 ERA with batters hitting just .158. In the 11 games since the break, Arrieta has surrendered one or fewer earned runs in eight starts.
The Pirates had won four consecutive games before dropping the second game of a doubleheader to the Cubs on Tuesday. Before that loss the Pirates were averaging seven runs per game during their four-game winning streak.
Opening Odds & Computer Pick
Pittsburgh was a 117 moneyline underdogs earlier in the day at BetOnline, based on the starting pitcher matchup. That pairing made odds makers at 5Dimes pick an opening over under number of 7.
Handicapping models based on recent betting stats and prediction formulas pick a 5.5-5 win for the Pirates. View the computer score prediction and who will win the pick on the moneyline for all upcoming MLB matchups here.
Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates Matchup
Team Betting Records & Power Rankings
The Pittsburgh Pirates sport a record of 87-57 heading into this matchup, while the Chicago Cubs sit at 83-61 on the season Stay Informed: follow us on Twitter for odds specials, betting line moves and Pittsburgh vs Chicago injuries news.
According to MLB Power Rankings here, it’s the No. 6-ranked Pittsburgh Pirates and the No. 12-rated Chicago Cubs in this matchup.
On offense, it’s a battle between the Pittsburgh Pirates and its No. 14-rated batting order, averaging 4.31 runs per nine innings, against the No. 17 line up of the Chicago Cubs at 4.24 runs per outing.
Chicago brings the No. 7-rated defense to this matchup, facing the Pirates’s No. 3-ranked defense.
Recent Outings Betting Recap
Chicago got the job done in their last match in a 2-1 victory over Pittsburgh on Tuesday at PNC Park behind starter J Lester.
- Chi Cubs is 8-4 SU in its last 12 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Chi Cubs’s last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Chi Cubs’s last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Chi Cubs’s last 6 games when playing Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Pittsburgh’s last 8 games
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Pittsburgh’s last 6 games at home
Next Betting Matchups
Chicago at Pittsburgh, Thursday, September 17th